Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's big



Well this map has been on this frame for years, more years than I care to admit. I bought this map as a kit in 1990, but I didn't start it straight away. Then when I came to stitch it, I found the fabric too big to handle, so I bought a large (huge) floor-standing frame. The map is of The Three Ridings of Yorkshire. I started with East Yorkshire, and this took me 2 weeks to stitch, then the rest took many years, and since finishing it more that 3 years ago, it has remained on this frame. I've finally taken it off, and it needs a good wash, and then I need to get it framed, I expect it to be expensive!

Now to this, this had got too big to use a 17" x 17" clip frame, and I want to get more beads on it, which I could not do using the clip frame, so here we are. Some of you may recognise it as Mystery IX. I was up to Part 9 when I decided I couldn't handle it any more. I've been working on it today, and I'm pleased with my progress. Although this pic just shows where I was at when I put it on the frame. To give you an idea of size, the frame is 40", and the stitching measures just over 12" square.



7 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Wow, that's some GREAT stitching!!

Unknown said...

The map looks absolutely fantastic, congratulations! What an achievement. Mystery IX is looking good too.

Sue said...

Love your map, what an incredible amount of work!! Your Mystery IX is looking awesome ;)

Stitchingranny said...

wow that map is some achievement to be proud of Chris.

Sally said...

The Three Ridings looks fantastic Chris. I did the East Riding one.

Mystery IX is looking good.

Julie said...

Yorkshire looks great, very detailed

The Mystery looks nice too, love the colours, i'll be watching this with interest, i fancy a bigger chatelaine myself

Katrina said...

Every thing is so pretty. The map is amazing.